 General / 4476
Re: Cost per piece?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 02:15:32 GMT

Moved from market.theory

Frank Filz wrote in message ...
:
:J-Men HQ wrote in message ...
:>A couple of weeks ago, Frank Filz mentioned something about a set
and said
:>it "makes the 10 cents a piece". What does that mean? What is
considered a
:>good price for  a set? Based upon number of pieces in a box? How do
you
:>decide when one piece might be a 6x12 plate, and another piece might
be a
:>1x1 plate? Big difference in value, but each considered a "piece".
What
:>methods do you folks use to judge a sets value? (Besides the obvious
"I
:must
:>have a Snowspeeder!")
:
:Of course there is no "perfect" way, but the better sets seem to cost
about
:10 cents a piece or less, using the piece count on the box. Of
course, this
:doesn't take into account the relative value of pieces, though a
larger
:piece isn't necessarily more valuable (though certainly plates and
basic
:bricks are pretty much more valuable the bigger they are, but a
collection
:of bricks which would make the same volume as the Big Ugly Rock Piece
(BURP)
:would be more valuable than the BURP (though the BURP is probably
worth more
:than 10 cents).
:
:Other factors I use: with the various mini-fig sets, it seems that
about a
:buck a mini-fig is reasonable.
:
:Trains and Technic have some very special pieces which really bump up
the
:value (I don't feel gyped by the price of any of the recent Train
sets for
:example).
:
:I rarely buy a recent set for much over 10 cents a piece unless I am
really
:interested in it
:
:
I agree with Frank. I use the US$0.10 per piece as a benchmark.
Then I adjust up or down for various reasons.

Based on this Model Team is a bargain. Black Thunder is sitting
on my bookcase right now and at 483 pieces/$40 it is a beautiful
steal.
The Snowspeeder is another good example: about 200 pieces for
$20! For a StarWars set that is terriffic. Plus it is a super-cool
looking
set.

And once a set on sale gets around $0.05 per piece it is hard for me
not to buy just for the parts value. The downside of this is you end
up
with lots of odds and ends that you're not that interested in.

As Frank says it is a pretty good way to judge the juniorization of a
set
(ie, how much of the set is all one piece eg, one-piece chassis vs.
multi-piece chassis). Also, the dime a piece rule will keep you out of
the light and sound stuff.