 General / 44725
Re: Will the educational arm of Technic and Mindstorms continue, at least?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.general, lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:02:33 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ross Crawford wrote:
-snip->> But has there been any official word on whether or not at least the
educational division will remain intact?
-more snip-

Before TLC drops the educational division, there's the question of what will
happen to FLL which has grown rapidly not only in the United States but
world-wide.  This year 2200+ teams will compete in the USA.  That's a lot of
kids and their parents who are heavily involved in the educational version
Mindstorms. From a market segment standpoint I'm sure the FLL sales are minor
and not very profitable, but from a PR viewpoint, I think TLC must see it as
significant! In addition to FLL and local el-hi schools, there is a growing
group of engineering schools that use Mindstorms + Robolab as part of the
introductory course they teach.  I suppose TLC could dump it all, companies will
do whatever they can to stay alive.  Let's hope they don't and that we'll learn
of their intentions soon.
Mitch Lichtenberg