 Robotics / 22001
Re: Will the educational arm of Technic and Mindstorms continue, at least?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.general, lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 21:19:06 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mark Tarrabain wrote:
It seems like the writing is on the wall with regards to the retail
sector for many of LEGO's more sophisticated lineups --- press releases
abound about how LEGO is restructuring and eliminating all its
electronics (which I assume means Mindstorms) and movie tie-in products,
and focus on the core building brick (which I assume means dropping
technic as well).

I'd be very surprised (and disappointed) if Technic was dropped. After all, it
has been around since the late 70s, I think that makes it part of the core
building system. But thats just my opinion. Mindstorms is another matter - it's
a relative newcomer. Maybe it means no more studless beams....

But has there been any official word on whether or not at least the
educational division will remain intact?

And I mean _official_.... not rumours, not opinions, not educational
guesses,  I mean an actual confirmed source from LEGO, saying,
specifically and precisely what lines would still be around, both in
retail and in the Dacta lineups.  I've heard that there was such a
remark made a while ago that supposedly said the Mindstorms would be
continuing, but this came before LEGO's announcement to restructure and
refocus.  I'd like to hear a confirmed update on that issue in light of
recent press releases, and I'd be willing to bet I'm not the only one.

Yes I would also like some official word, however the actual decisions may not
yet have been made. Thay've indicated their future direction, but IIRC they've
made similar announcements before. The actual decision of what lines will be
produced will IMO not be made for a while.

ROSCO