 General / 43917
Re: New colors and other info (Attn Jake)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 07:48:46 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote: some of the old colors (like
   light and dark gray) are fairly “muddy” and dull. In addition to consumer feedback pointing this out – and not positively – we didn’t like the “muddiness” either, and looked for a solution to make all the LEGO colors “fit”. Check that picture from Joe again; you can clearly see how much nicer the new colors look. These new colors are brighter and sharper and more consistent with the primary palette for which the LEGO Brand is known.

2. The LEGO color palette has grown a bit organically (a nice way of saying haphazardly) over time. As needs for new colors came up, new colors were created somewhat independently of the rest of the colors. Since we have added many new colors in the last few years, it was clear that we needed a specific, focused, and defined color palette. In design terms, the colors needed to “fit together” better.

I tried giving this a couple days to sink in but it makes less & less sense every time I read it. In fact you’ve talked in circles with out really saying anything. Grey is supposed to be “muddy” and dull that’s the whole point of grey. No matter how much you try to convince me otherwise the new colors DO NOT look “nicer”. The concept of a color pallet that “fits” is ridiculous. The world is organic, haphazard, and full of contrasts. The pastel “focused” palette is great for Belville but will take the rest of the LEGO line in a very poor direction. It also looks as if you’re taking the concept of a toy that stays constant through generations and just throwing it out the window. What is change just for the sake of change?-Ken