 General / 43098
Re: "get an orientation on the LEGO community"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:55:18 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tim Courtney wrote:

You need to shift your frame of mind to really see what I’m talking about. It should be approached from the perspective of a newbie. Sure, *we* all know what resources are where, and we can even follow links between the sites. But, someone new to the hobby comes on the scene and all they will see is a bunch of sites that partially overlap each other in data they offer, and no clear singular starting point.

I hear it often from the ‘outside’ when people learn about our community. They’re confused about what’s where, who does what, and why its not more integrated. They’re confused about posting to LUGNET - does it cost money? (one example among many) Nothing’s been done to address that confusion.

Where does a newbie go to get an orientation on the LEGO community as a whole? Also, where does a seasoned veteran go for a one-stop LEGO experience, with direct access to information they need everywhere? I know this isn’t trivial stuff, but I think its a goal that can and should be worked towards.

Hope this clears things up, and also hope it raises more questions :-)

-Tim

This does bring up a topic I posted a few months ago(?) of the links page on LUGNET (http://www.lugnet.com/links/) titled “Everything LEGO” being a little out of date.

I will acknowledge what’s being talked about here does go much deeper. If you go to the LUGNET homepage, take a moment and pretend you’re a newbie (not easy if you’ve been here a while). OK, so I’m looking at the LUGNET homepage and am saying to myself “WOW! This is cool!”

Now comes stage 2: I see all this wonderful stuff and ask myself “Where should I start?”. My eyes are looking at the middle of the page and am trying deciding where I should go to first. I’m looking at the headers going down the middle of the page- “Global community of LEGO enthusiasts”, “Where trains and POV-Ray collide!”, “Crossword Puzzle”, “Where minds connect”, “Fun things to see and do”, and last, “Reference Materials”. All of them except “Where minds connect” have a least one link in them. But I still don’t see an upfront “start here”, so to speak. To the right of the screen is “Membership” with three minifigs holding up flags and 1x1 plates sitting around. Then I see something that says “Info”(smaller font than the links typed in the headers), so I go there. Now, the info page has cleared up some things but am still feeling a little “iffy” of all the stuff I’ve seen on the homepage.

So I figure maybe I should look at that line with links between “Global community of LEGO enthusiasts” and “Where trains and POV-Ray collide!”: “Newsgroups”, “Spotlight”, “Events”, “Links”, “Guide”, and “Shop”. Well, “Guide” looks like my next shot so I go there. But, it reads in the page title “The LUGNET Guide to LEGO® Products”. Not quite what I’m after. Then again, I really don’t quite know what I’m after- I’M A NEWBIE, remember.

The point of all this being there is nothing on the LUGNET homepage that is there upfront, in immediate view, that a newbie can go to help them with the big Q: “I’m here, now what do I do to next?”

The veteran issue is a bit tougher because once you’ve been here long enough, you’ve pretty much know where to go or what to use. But hey, ideas on this are for good reading.

My $.02

Adr.