 General / 4273
Re: Lego E3 report: Star Wars Mindstorms, video games, visited Legoland
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 14:56:51 GMT

I wanna see that dragon!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Spangler <stormwind@wombatgames.com>
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Date: Thursday, May 20, 1999 10:48 AM
Subject: Lego E3 report: Star Wars Mindstorms, video games, visited Legoland

Sorry for the large number of cross-posted groups but there is a lot of
different news here.  Follow-ups set to lugnet.general.

I went to E3 in LA last weekend on business.  Lego had a nice display, they • had
normal Mindstorms, the Star Wars Mindstorm sets, and the new Scout RCX • brick (2
inputs, 2 outputs, infrared, programmable using front display).  I also got • to
play Rock Raiders game and watch people play Legoland, both games look • pretty
cool.
Lego also had a neat gumball machine that used at least one RCX: you insert • your
business card and it drops a gumball down lots of chutes, conveyor belts, • and
other contraptions.

The Star Wars Mindstorm models were kinda neat.  We played with the Battle
Droid/Stap model and blew it up.  Hehehe...

Rock Raiders is a real time strategy game where you mine energy crystals, • build
structures, and defend your base from the rock monsters who want the • crystals
back.  It is full 3D, with overhead and first person camera views • available.
The buildings fall from the sky and get built in a Lego-esque way, which is • a
pretty cool effect.

It's funny when the rock monsters come after the minifigs, they get scared, • drop
their crystals, and run with their arms waving in the air.  The rock • monsters
will start pounding your base and throwing rocks at it.  They took a • nonviolent
fictional approach to the game: when your buildings are damaged too much by • the
rock monsters they are teleported back to home base instead of being • destroyed.
You can also use repulsor guns to frustrate the rock monsters.

Legoland lets you build a Lego theme park like Carlsbad, reminded me of a • Theme
Park for younger people.

At a separate booth Lego had robot wars for participants that signed up. • They
used one RCX for the remote control, and one or more RCX bricks for • controlling
the robot motors.  One large robot contained a second smaller robot that • drove
out from a storage area using a lowerable ramp.

We then skipped out of the last day of E3 (all of our meetings were done) • and
went down to Legoland in Carlsbad...  Way cool!  Miniland, the dragon • inside the
castle rollercoaster, and the factory tour were my favorite areas.

I have some pictures of the new mindstorms stuff (Star Wars and Scout) and • lots
of pictures from Legoland.  If anyone is interested I'll toss the pictures • up on
my web page.