 General / 4268
Re: No W
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 07:22:37 GMT

Terry K wrote:

Yea, I call it "slug bug" as well.  But we play a different game. VW products
(at least the classic ones) are worth points:
1 point:    Beetle or New Beetle, Beetle Bus or Van.
2 points:  Karmann Ghia
3 points: Thing, hatchback sedan/station wagon.
Jackpot:  Schwimmwagon (sp?)  (never got that one)

   We used to play this game, though only with
  the regular breed of Bug.  Our version was
   called "Herbie," after the lamentable Disney
   movie of the same name that starred a VW.
   You'd say "Herbie [color]" and get a point;
   convertables were prized and worth five points,
   but only if you said "Herbie convertable [color]."

   Now, as for the Schwimmwagen, I've seen
   one of those things--a fellow in the Detroit
   suburb where I used to live had one (along
   with a Willys MB complete with .50cal, sans
   firing block of course (but who's gonna mess
   with him on the road?).  I'm not sure if the old
   Schwimmwagen was revived after WWII,
   but during the war it was a staple on the Eastern
   Front for fording rivers--an amphibian.  But to
   be honest, I'd give jackpot points to its more
   common cousin, the Kubelwagen, too--I've
   seen more than a few of those around.

   lugnet.general removed from followups.

   LFB.