 General / 42584
42583  |  42585
Subject:
SAH Summer Catalog Highlights
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 02:30:43 GMT

Hey all,

Bear with me if my descriptions are kinda fuzzy, but someone backed into my
car today and really did a number on the front end!  I'm ok, but my poor
baby!!  Word to those with jacked-up trucks, replace your metal tailgate
with one of those webbed things.  The guy said he couldn't see me in any of
his mirrors.  He was backing up to clear the crosswalk for a pedestrian.

ANYWAY, here's what I see so far:

More Designer stuff, this time with a motor added!  They're calling them
"Inventor" sets:

They include the 9v battery box that holds six AA batteries, like the one
from the Technic Shuttle, plus a new clear motor component of some kind.
Difficult to see in the pictures.  One of the sets has the motor and battery
pack.  One has a new wind-up motor, and the other is gravity operated.

The new MINI Star Wars sets have the following droolables:

2x2x2 dark gray minifig dress/slope piece
6x6 gray radar dish decorated (Millenium Falcon)
Four brown 2x2 medium-slope corners (MTT)
Rust/light brown brick-to-medium-slope piece (MTT)  Saw a pair of these in
yellow in the SE Naboo Fighter

AT-AT
Grey Fabuland wrench used for guns on the side of the head
1x2.5 click-hinge plates (just like the regular hinge plates that are smooth
but with the click-hinge)
3x3 dark grey radar dish
2 Snowtroopers, 1 driver

"Advanced" Designer Sets
These are the new red helicopter, yellow 4x4 vehicle, and blue and yellow
speedboat
2x2x3 extreme-slope corners in red confirmed!!
Also 2x2 medium-slope inverse corners (2 each)
Sixteen!!  1x2x3 arched windows in red (used as side air intakes)
All three sets include instructions for three different models each!

I'm not a big Bionicle fan, but one of the new sets has Rust/light brown and
Brown Technic tubing

Orient Expedition
All the items below are in the #7419 Dragon Fortress
1x1x5 round pillars in red
1x1 thin-wall corners in red
At least eight of the following:
2x2 dual-inverse corners in red
3x3 low-slope corners in black
2x2 medium-slope corners in black
Sand green 1x? beams
More brown crossbows!
1x4 fences in brown

Extreme Sports:  new snowboarding sets
Old-style Castle body armor in white!
New safety helmet
Those new large curved slope pieces in white and tan(like the ones from
##3433 Ultimate Arena)
Stunt-Stick?!!  Apparently you can attach minifigs to this device and spin
them around.
The new curved-slope pieces in light blue
The new 12-stud long slope piece in white
#3585 Snowboard Super Pipe actually has black Technic beams!

Racers
Some VERY interesting stuff here.  I was very skeptical of the Racers line
until I saw these new sets.
#8364 Multi-Challenge Race Track has straight and curved track sections that
are rearrangeable!  It looks as though 12 curved sections make a complete
circle, and the set has severel different possible configurations.  On top
of that, the new car chassis' are rechargeable!  Anyone remember Sizzler II?
Same idea.  Charge the car, then it will race around the track all by
itself!

#8365  Tuneable Racer   VERY interesting!  "7 engine blocks to tune racer 9
different ways"  3 AA batteries required.  Apparently, depending on what
pieces you attach to the motor, that will dictate how it will perform,  but
they don't go into details on how the different arrangements affect
performace.

World City Police stuff
Dark blue old-style Castle armor in #7033 Armoured Car Action
Dark blue baseball cap
Trans-smoke all over the place!
6 stud-wide windscreens
Plane windows with trans-smoke glass
Trans-smoke thin-walls (1x2x2, 1x4x3, and possibly 1x2x5 bricks!)
1x2 tiles in gold!!
#7035 Police HG appears to have a 16x32 baseplate and a bunch of curved
4x4x5 curved wall sections (like the ones from Droid Escape) in trans-smoke.

Trains
New #4511 High Speed Train has a new tapered front piece with working
lights, the train also has the new tapered trans-smoke cockpit piece (tapers
from 6-wide to 4-wide and then 2-wide at the very front.  This set also has
the Hermione hair piece in black
#4513 Grand Central Station has more trans-smoke curved walls, also one of
the minifigs is wearing a dark red cap (not the baseball kind)  Also has the
Arctic backpack in green on the minifig with the Classic Space jacket!
New 1x2 tile in white decorated to look like a train ticket
The revolving door is actuated by a Technic wheel, and judging by the
pictures, it looks like it's actually made out of bricks and is not a POOP

THERE'S A NEW CARGO TRAIN, AND BOY, IS IT AWESOME!
#4512 Cargo Train  has those rare 1x4x3 cargo doors that have only appeared
yellow previously (can't remember the train set #)
Also has Train doors (like the ones in the Metroliner) in dark grey
Remember the hinge piece used to make the cargo bay doors on all the Space
Shuttle sets?  Well, TLG has come up with a click-hinge version.  There are
two here in yellow.  There's also a pair in white on the High Speed Train
(#4511).  They also have another version that doesn't curve in, it's just a
straight wall.

Once again, I must apologize if my descriptions are vague, but I'm not up on
all the brick terminology!

Play Well!

Dave