 General / 42242
Re: Virus Email
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 23:08:35 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Radtke writes:
In lugnet.general, Dan Mattia writes:
They're not clickable.  That means the spammer would have to type it in.  I
try to warn people and I get arrogant people to post.

~Dan

And by posting them here they are sure to be harvested again for spam.

-Rob.

Take a pill. I'm not up on spam technology but I would be very surprised if
clickable had much to do with it. Harvesting addresses would hardly be
profitable if a person literally had to take the time to click on each one.
One could imagine there are programs that grab any clear text, properly
formatted, email address. If human intervention and interpretation was
involved then NOSPAM inserts wouldn't work. Better to play it safe than
sorry. Especially when you are posting a public message containing
information about other people that will be available far into the future.

Indeed. Were I you, Dan, I'd drop a note to admin@lugnet.com with the url of
your original post, asking that it be canceled.

Todd's worked hard to make spam harvesting harder here, Dan. The people
trying to point that out, and suggest that you posting email address may not
have been a good idea, to you Dan are not being arrogant, they're being helpful.