 General / 42161
42160  |  42162
Subject:
Paypal Alert! Scam?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2003 17:41:31 GMT

FYI to all PayPal Users.
I checked my email just now and found an email from Paypal support.  Or so
it seems.

Text below:
==================
Dear valued PayPal member:
It has come to our attention that your PayPal billing informations are
out of order. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your
online experience and update your personal records you will not run
into any future problems with the online service. However, failure
to update your records will result in account suspension. Please
update your records by May 25th.

Once you have updated your account records your PayPal session will not be
interrupted and will continue as normal. Failure to update will result in
cancellation of service, Terms of Service (TOS) violations or future
problems.

To update your PayPal records click here:
>a HREF="http: // -Added to Break Hyperlink-209.61.190.14-Added to Break
Hyperlink-
/.paypalDLLupdate/index.html"
target="_self"<http://cgi1.paypal.com/aw-cgi/paypalISAPI.dll?UPdate>/a
<

PayPal Update team
http://www.paypal.com

Notice that the link appears to be at Paypal.com, but is really pointing to
a raw address of 209.61.190.14.  The page that this brings you to is a form
that is requesting that you update your credit card information, social
security number and billing and home addresses among other things.  I'm no
expert in reading mail headers, but the message appears to be originating
from: mail.porsche-brno.cz

I reported the message to Paypal, but I am not sure what they can do about
it.

-Andy Lynch