 General / 41921
Re: The "LUGNET community" vs. the "LEGO community," and computer literacy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 17:50:27 GMT

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Tim Courtney wrote:

This is a big point which I feel needs attention. I know many people who
either find LUGNET too confusing to set up for posting, or don't like it
for one reason or another. Those who experience the former find it near
impossible to get support to help them set up. Unless LUGNET creates
more user-friendly methods of setting up for posting, with clearer
documentation and FAQs, I don't forsee many more marginally computer
savvy people joining and participating. Some people here might welcome
that side effect, but I don't. I'd like to lower the bar, rather than
raise it.

Okay, I've read this several times, and I still don't get it.  How is the
setup for LUGNET posting confusing?  Links from the main page
(http://news.lugnet.com) and from a page that appears each time you post
through the Web interface take you to
http://news.lugnet.com/news/post/setup/
This page is almost entirely linear (except for links to the TOS), with
obvious boxes to fill out and check.  The only thing that I can see about
it that might be confusing is that it's got *so much* explanation that
people might only read the parts in bold---but even then the only effect I
can see is for people to not realize that Organization: is optional.

What more is there to setting up LUGNET posting?

--
TWS Garrison
http://www.math.purdue.edu/~tgarriso/