 General / 41752
Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 18:34:57 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
Over the better part of the last year, I've done a lot of thinking about the
LEGO hobby and the LEGO community, trying to develop a philosophy on it
which I use to channel my efforts, energies, and interactions. I'm
interested in hearing others' thoughts on the LEGO community.

Particularly - what do you think the LEGO community includes? what does it
exclude?

Hi Tim,

These kind of conversations are what help us develop as a community.  I
applaude you for bringing it up.  Its nice to see us going a step beyond
merely coming together to share likes and dislikes.  By stimulating this
type of conversation, our unique culture grows and we all benefit.

That having been said, a lot of people are going to respond to your post
with their thoughts.  My politically correct answer is that anyone who loves
the medium and wants to share should be considered a part of the community.
However, I trully only feel a sense of community with Lugnet.  I don't
believe that this site is the end-all-be-all of AFOL life.  However, this is
my home.  I feel a strong sense of kinship with the people I interact with
on this site.  Sometimes they make me angry, sometimes very happy; just as
any real family would.

Build Well!

Felix
http://www.lugnet.com/~94