 General / 4165
4164  |  4166
Subject:
Modeling correctly ? (was Re: Building exhaustion)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 15 May 1999 10:01:37 GMT

I purchased yesterday 5542 Black Thunder helicopter. It is my first
Model Team set and it is really nice done set! Very good instructions -
detailed as Technic ones.

It take me about half an hour to build it. When it was finished, I put
it neighouring to 6462 Aerial Recovery. 5542 is nuch bigger than 6462
(minifigs sit in it very comfortable) and looks more impressive, but in
sense of playability and functionality 6462 is better.

What really stuck me comparing these two models of similar purpose (bot
of them are resque helicopters) - it is scale in LEGO world. Usually
LEGO cars are 4 studs wide (even trucks), only few exceptions are with 6
studs (mainly SpacePort oriented). Planes and helicopters are the same 4
studs wide. Not so much place for poor minifigs... Usually when I am
building a car - it *has* to be 6 studs wide, but usually I run out of
my 6-stud windshields very fast. So some cars still are 4 studs wide. Or
I ned to go to over-sized 8 studs wide models (heavy trucks etc.). It
makes me nervous because I like to see 2 minifigs sitting side-by-side
in the car.

I tried to define scale for such a modelling and got single stud brick
about 32x32x45cm big in reality. Practically it means that personal car
must be 5 studs wide, truck - 7 studs wide. Using such a scale I build
some cars (which look quite nice) and few planes (training and attack
ones which are not very big) and got quite big models. Usually they fit
onto baseplate with difficulty. In any case it is rather difficult to
keep proper proportions from real prototype.

Anyone has some headache from this ideas?

Gintaras