 General / 41185
Re: Custom torso stickers question......
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 20:10:36 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mark Papenfuss writes:
I am thinking about making some custom torso stickers and was wondering what
the best type of sticker paper is to use. And can you just use a plain 'ol
printer to print them up or do you need a super printer for them? My printer
is pretty basic, its like the $70 special, lol. Or would a place like Kinkos
be good to print a few sheets up?

Does anybody have any good suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Mark P
http://www.landofbricks.com
Hi Mark,
I've only had some limited experience with doing this, but here's what I
found.  I used Avery's whole sheet sticker paper that is designed for ink
jet printers.  It seems to work pretty well and I am pleased with the
stickers except that the paper is matte, so the stickers aren't glossy like
lego bricks are.  In some cases this might not matter, but if it does,
another way to do it would be to use glossy photo paper and then glue the
stickers using glue sticks or something similar!  The sticker paper has it's
own adhesive so glue isn't necessary with it.  It can be tricky trying to
peel the backing off a tiny sticker the size of a minifig torso though.
I've tried gluing them using a glue stick and it works pretty good.  I
recommend using thinner photo paper as the thick stuff shows the edges more.
You may have to experiment with different types of glue to get what you
want.  I've had a few of the glue stick ones peel off a little too easy.
It's nice if you want to remove the stickers, but frustrating if you don't
want them off.
I would think that your printer would be fine to use.  Unless you are trying
for some real fine detail, most ink jet or laser printers would work fine.
If the print quality on paper is good enough, then naturally it would be
fine for the stickers too.
That's all the advice I can give you.  I'm sure there are others who might
have something else to add.  Good luck!
Tom