 General / 41120
41119  |  41121
Subject:
More on critiquing, was Re: Dragonstar!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 15:17:06 GMT

now that this is boiling down somewhat, I'd like to offer this:  We just
went through this is .mecha  I offered some helpful tips on critique here:
http://news.lugnet.com/build/mecha/?n=8293

I forgot something in it though, I didn't discuss the one being critiqued.
We have to realize that when one discusses our work we need to step back.
And listen to what they say.  If they go off on some strange angle and
didn't even see or understand what it was we did, then that is noteworthy.
Before reacting to it, we must think and ask ourselves, why?  If the
message/vision didn't get across, it's hardly the fault of the critiquer.

Also, developing the space in ourselves that allows anyone to say anything
about our creations (even the bad stuff) really helps get feedback on a
bigger level.  It's very understandable why lurkers lurk when they see the
hassle that they ~may~ encounter when they say what they see.

Quick question, is anyone getting anything out of this?  Should I do a full
blown post on how to critique, or do you generally think I'm full of it?

Ok, enough from the English professor.
Build on Gang

Snow Daddy
Mark Neumann

In lugnet.space, Daniel Jassim writes:
Hey Joel,

I appreciate your post and your take on what was said or implied, and so
forth. I feel bad that you felt you had to “defend” Jon. That implies that
I’m on the offensive when I’m just trying to respond to comments that I
didn’t really find that constructive, in my opinion. And really, it’s up to
Jon to speak up if I’m taking things the wrong way. I mean, assuming the
criticism is genuinely constructive, then I'm cool. Honest! I welcome
suggestions that I can work with.

(Rant Switch Activated!)
But Jon’s “you can do better” doesn’t exactly help me or motivate me. I
happen to know that I worked very hard on this model, passing up quality
time with the family these past few weekends so I could have a new MOC I
could proudly display at Brickswest. I don’t mind someone suggesting I can
do better but if I feel I gave my best already, what more can I do? And
Mark’s follow up to Jon’s post saying that I need to “build different”
didn’t exactly address anything I could improve on this model. He’s just
saying he wants to see me build something “different,” whatever that may be.
Seemed more like a statement of disappointment.

In fact, the general vibe I got from them is that this MOC is the same old
thing, not all that impressive and/or rather disappointing. But that’s no
big deal, REALLY. I respect the neophyte in everyone. But I find it
interesting to wonder about what the response would be had I never built my
previous cap ships and this exact ship was my very first…you get the idea?
So is it the model or is it Dan Jassim? I guess my earlier stuff set the bar
for me and I think they’ve come to expect more. Oh well.

Regarding the rest of the Jon’s post about scale and so forth, yeah, I’m a
bit annoyed but I’ll live. It just seems that my creation and post has been
turned into a springboard for his cause, concern or lament (not sure what to
call it). I can’t say if it was intended, but Jon put the spotlight on me
and punctuated his own personal dislikes regarding scaling and building
style. I don’t think anyone, Jon or otherwise, should be applying their
standards and measures to someone else's creations. I don't find that to be
constructive. More like pretentious, in my opinion and I think we spaceheads
should be above that. Regardless of how talented or creative someone may be,
nobody in this group, NOBODY, is the end-all authority on anything…at least
not the last time I checked. (Rant Off)

I apologize in advance if I’ve pissed anyone off.

Space!

Dan