 General / 41011
Re: Men vs. Women
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 21:56:51 GMT

I'm afraid I'm partially to blame.  I added to the boy side of the equation
by having a son.  If I had a daughter, I would have helped correct the
imbalance.  :-)

I know that sounds flippant, but it's mostly true.  While my wife was
pregnant, I walked down the girl's toy aisles at TRU.  Pink and purple
(which should answer your question about Lego doing the same).  Blah.

It dawned on me in that instant that in this day and age that I didn't have
to get a daughter "girl" toys.  I'd give her Lego!  It was a wonderful
revelation.

But let's face it, in America at least, there is this tendancy not to
prepare girls for careers in math and science.  Just age old habits that
need to be broken.

And why is this in off-topic?  :-)

-->Bruce<--

Well, my twin girls should help offset your blame.  :-)

They are only 2 1/2 months old, but they already have their first Duplo set.
(I just hope that they will develop an interest in LEGO as something other
than, as I suspect, a teething instrument later on). It would be nice to
have play time where we can share our toys and ideas, LEGO style. In any
event, I plan on buying them the toys that foster creativity and capture
their interest regardless of the gender stigma attached.

I also plan on showing them around my toolbox in the garage when they are
old enough too. I've seen my wife come up with very creative ideas, but not
follow through because she is unsure of how to use the required tools. She's
learned how to use several in the time that we've been married, but she's
still far from comfortable with any of them. Familiarity breeds confidence I
guess...

-Duane

FUT: .General