 General / 41010
Re: Men vs. Women
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 21:21:34 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I find it mildly interesting that there aren't more female AFOL's, though.
Lots of women are into artsy-craftsy type things which seem fairly
satisfyable by Lego. Only problems with that are: 1) lots of Lego
fascination is nostalgia based [if only at first], and since women weren't
into it as kids, it's less of a motivator. 2) Lego is a little less
open-ended and less "pretty" since it's more difficult to get soft
tones/curves/surfaces than in other mediums.

If you want my opinion, and I know you all were dying to hear it. :) Well, to be
honest, I couldn't quite speculate as to why there are fewer female AFOL's.
I, for one, looked foward to the days as a child, that my mother would move the
refridgerator to clean, and a treasure trove of hotwheels would come rolling
out.  Fantastic!  It's like going to the toy store, only they're mine!

I had lego space ships, I had houses, fire trucks, police cars.  As for MOCs, I
made boxes.  They were supposed to be houses, but honestly, who paints their
house multicolors and forgets to put a roof on?

Perhaps we could delve into, while in poor taste, may be a valid point, made by
what would soon become an AFOL's _ex_ girlfriend at a meeting of AFOLS:  "Toys?
Pfff... I out-grew THOSE."  Perhaps there is, and I don't know, some sort of
Adult Fan of Barbie group out there.  I mean, beyond collectors of dolls, but
People that actually get out their yellow barbie trans-am with the tethered
"remote" control and drive Barbie and Ken to their townhouse and play.

I'm sure if you were to look around at some of the other hobbies of the same
group of people here, you would/could find similar gender dispropotions.
Various types of gaming, coding, sci-fi reading and watching and
con-attending... sure, I might like it all too, but would anyone say that those
things are 50-50 Male-Female?  Ask your wives, see what they say about LEGOs and
why don't they play with them anymore.

Expand out further, ignore the gender issue and question: why do AFOLS seem to
be of one sort of computery type or another?  Is it because of the medium in
which we all met and got together?  Or is it because of the type of persons we
are?  A lot of us seem to be cat people too.  Why are so many of us around the
same age?

Do I think that Paradisa/Scala have failed?  Well, they're coming in on a hard
market to break into.  Back in my day, While i had the LEGO too, I still had
Barbie, My little Pony, and still one of my favorites:  She-Ra.  Do i dislike
Pink Bricks? oh my no.  I love them.  They've got many uses and have a lot of
wonderful colors I can't get anywhere else.

All in all, I'd say that reasearching this might make a good thesis, I don't
suspect that any of us could speculate any more than we already have, besides,
I'm sure there's market research types that have already pondered this very
question, whether or not they came up with a good solution or not, that's a
different question entirely.

Jennifer