 General / 40844
40843  |  40845
Subject:
Giving up the LEGO Maniac's Webring
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish, lugnet.fun.community
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 21:46:26 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Everyone -
Some of you may remember the LEGO Maniac's Webring
(http://p.webring.com/hub?ring=lego) in its prime. I started it when I was
still in high school, back in 1997. It's still in existance today, but not
really in the forefront of the community's mind. For the last couple years,
I haven't maintained the ring like it deserves, and Kyle Keppler and Stephen
Roberts have stepped in to help maintain it. They've done an awesome job
keeping it intact!

However, it's still attached to my name, and I feel some sort of duty at
least to give the ring the opportunity to be a cool thing again. Kyle and
Stephen have stepped in to do the ring system maintenance so it's
functional, but there's no cool homepage for it, new graphics, etc, like I
wanted. Again, they've done a great job in the support role, but I'm looking
for someone interested in taking a leadership role and getting it back on track.

It could very well be that it's time has passed, and I understand (and am
willing to accept) that. But, for some reason, I get the feeling the people
who have sites in the ring would feel differently. So, I'm not content to
just retire the ring, I want to give someone the opportunity to take it
completely from me and run with it. I have no interest in maintaining the
ring any longer, nor do I have the time with the many projects I'm currently
involved in. I've asked Kyle if he wants it outright, and he doesn't have
the desire to take that much responsibility either.

If there is anyone out here in the community willing to take all ownership
of the ring and maintain it, hopefully build a nice looking homepage for it
and even promote it some, that would be great! I'm hereby offering it up to
such a willing person. BUT - here's the catch (isn't there always one?)...
as you may understand, I'm not content to just give it to the first person
who replies to this message.

If you are interested in taking over the ring as the new ringmaster, please
send me an email at tim@zacktron.com. Include in that email what qualities
you have that would make you a good ringmaster, websites you have created,
etc. I'll look at the emails I receive, factor in your contributions I've
seen, and make a decision. If you haven't been around all that long - don't
worry, I'm not going to judge you based on that. I'm all for giving someone
new the opportunity to run this just like anyone else. I am interested in
quality of work, though. I hope you all understand my reasons for being
selective like this. If you're interested, don't hesitate to email me! I
hope there are quite a few of you interested, but then that would make my
decision a tough one, wouldn't it? :-)

Kyle has expressed to me that he would be happy to continue in a
support/maintenance role should the ring change hands, so you will have some
help! For reference, the current (stagnant) ring homepage is at
www.zacktron.com/ring/ and the WebRing system page is at
http://p.webring.com/hub?ring=lego.

Thanks for your interest!

Tim Courtney