 General / 40794
Re: My New Favorite Lego Element
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 02:28:49 GMT

"Hendo (John P. Henderson)" <hendo@valyance.com> writes:
Hi all,

I've been thinking about this a lot lately (shows you how obsessed I am),
and I thought I'd share.

I have decided that I have a new Favorite Lego Element, this one:

http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=2540

That's "Plate 1 x 2 with Handle" for anyone too lazy to click the URL.

I have found a variety of extremely useful applications for it in every
model I have built during the past year (well, maybe with a couple of small
exceptions).

This piece can be used as one part of a hinge when coupled with other
connectors (a feature that makes this essential to building humanoid
monsters for my D&D run, or perhaps for mecha); it can be used in number to
create a built-in ladder especially useful in Space MOCs that don't have
room for a lift); it is regularly used to hold clip-on ladders (such as are
used in Castle models); it can also be a handle for carts, a general
greeblie on spaceships or siege engines, or a place to attach flags or
accesories on models from most genres.  For a specialized element, I feel
this one has a tremendous number of possible uses.  And thus, it is my
Favorite Lego Element.

So, which piece is yours?

I don't have a favorite, but I'd like to discuss that element a bit.

As a rule, I don't like it very much.  I have not found it to be very
useful for many things, but I have found it to be *very* useful for a
few things.

But the two things I use it for the most are not on your list, so I
thought I would offer them: bumpers and rear view windows for trucks.
I build 6-wide trucks and often find these (in light grey) to be the
best way to model the rear view windows.  In dark grey or brown, they
make good bumpers for trucks as well.

Examples can be found on my website:
        http://www.wards.net/~bill/lego/

--Bill.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
little statesmen and philosophers and divines."        - Emerson