 General / 40790
Re: MOC #1: Alpha Class BattleCruiser
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 20:35:33 GMT

In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw writes:
Good to see some stuff from you Sean!
Thanks, its nice to contribute for once.

It looks like you had a fairly large project on your hands with this one.  I
can see some elements of building techniques seen here in your model (some
colour grouping, ladder construction etc).  I myself haven't taken on - or
at least posted - any larger products because I have a tough time having
them not look boxy.  Looking at cruiser, I thought it might benefit from a
couple things I've seen others do and hope to incorporate myself someday.

- Use as many slopes as you can around the top and bottom lip of the
walls...where they connect with the floor and ceiling.  This helps smooth
out the shape a bit and make it a little more streamlined.  If you don't
have enought slopes to do the whole way around, put one in every second or
third brick.  It will still have a good effect on the form.
Hmm.  Sounds like a good idea.  I think I did put some slopes in their
on top of the windows, but I can see how it looks kind of boxy.  If
I envision what you're saying right, you think it should kind of be
more ovalish then squarish.  I dont have to many slopes around, and the
ones I did have resided in the form of a school project for my sister,
and when I began building those pieces weren't accesible.

- Try to build in 3 dimensions.  Ships that are all the same height can look
boxy from side angles.  The bridge or the engines can  rise higher than the
main body of the ship.  Even gun implacements or observation towers can
help.  Try to have smaller rises that lead back up to larger ones (look at
the Imperial Star Destroyer for examples).  This also gives you a little
more room to work with.  Even a small bit of elevation works wonders.
Yeah, I do see what you're saying.  When I began building, I wanted it
to be like other ships with the hallways and corridors leading to other
parts of the ship.  However, I cancelled this because of my lack of yellow
pieces.

Please don't view these as criticisms.  They are merely suggestions that
I've been putting together to help me deal with my problems with large
projects.  You're already way ahead of me in that department!
It's always good to hear constructive criticism, I've already gotten some
from other friends on how I should add turrets instead of fixed gun
placements, so Ill try to rebuild it in the near future.  Ill take your
ideas into thought.

It's a great start...keep going!
Thanks for the comments, I will.

Cheers,
-Gil

PS.  T-wing....an escort is always good to have in tricky situations!
Very!

Hasta la Vista, Sean