 Space / 20765
Re: MOC #1: Alpha Class BattleCruiser
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:56:35 GMT

Good to see some stuff from you Sean!

It looks like you had a fairly large project on your hands with this one.  I
can see some elements of building techniques seen here in your model (some
colour grouping, ladder construction etc).  I myself haven't taken on - or
at least posted - any larger products because I have a tough time having
them not look boxy.  Looking at cruiser, I thought it might benefit from a
couple things I've seen others do and hope to incorporate myself someday.

- Use as many slopes as you can around the top and bottom lip of the
walls...where they connect with the floor and ceiling.  This helps smooth
out the shape a bit and make it a little more streamlined.  If you don't
have enought slopes to do the whole way around, put one in every second or
third brick.  It will still have a good effect on the form.

- Try to build in 3 dimensions.  Ships that are all the same height can look
boxy from side angles.  The bridge or the engines can  rise higher than the
main body of the ship.  Even gun implacements or observation towers can
help.  Try to have smaller rises that lead back up to larger ones (look at
the Imperial Star Destroyer for examples).  This also gives you a little
more room to work with.  Even a small bit of elevation works wonders.

Please don't view these as criticisms.  They are merely suggestions that
I've been putting together to help me deal with my problems with large
projects.  You're already way ahead of me in that department!

It's a great start...keep going!

Cheers,
-Gil

PS.  T-wing....an escort is always good to have in tricky situations!

In lugnet.space, Sean Devolites writes:
Wassssup All,
I finally have pics of some MOCs I've made, it's taken awhile but at
least now I dont have to wait to go to a friends house.  Presenting,
the Alpha Class BattleCruiser:

Alpha Class BattleCruiser
http://hotshot3396.tripod.com/cgi-bin/picture_013.jpg

Constructed by Cobra Engineering, the AC BattleCruiser is ideal for
any exploration missions and assault missions.  With front phasers,
guns, 2 massive torpedos, and even a handy little weapon above the
engines to make sure no one tailgates.  The ladder for troop exit
and engines are also visible.  Another key thing on the AC is the
sonar bolts mounted onto the roof.

Forward Guns and Sonar
http://hotshot3396.tripod.com/cgi-bin/picture_014.jpg

Torpedo #2
http://hotshot3396.tripod.com/cgi-bin/picture_017.jpg

Ladder, Engines, and Tailgating Guns
http://hotshot3396.tripod.com/cgi-bin/picture_015.jpg

While the engines seem weak, a strong shield system protects them
from the possibility of being shot off in the heat of battle.  The
shields, as well as the scanning system, are run from a 2-person
computer.  The computer as well as a gunning station can be seen
at the top of this photo, which also shows the #1 torpedo.

Computer, Gunning Station, Torpedo #1
http://hotshot3396.tripod.com/cgi-bin/picture_009.jpg

The cockpit of the AC is state of the art and the viewport leans out
for the pilots so they have a better line of vision.

Cockpit
http://hotshot3396.tripod.com/cgi-bin/picture_002.jpg

Some of the comforts featured on the AC include 2 sleeping
compartments and the ever so important bathroom and cargo space.

Sleeping Compartments
http://hotshot3396.tripod.com/cgi-bin/picture_005.jpg

Bathroom and Cargo Space
http://hotshot3396.tripod.com/cgi-bin/picture_006.jpg

Lastly, all ACs travel with one T-Wing for escort

T-Wing
http://hotshot3396.tripod.com/cgi-bin/picture_023.jpg

This project basically took me about a month, and was one
of the biggest I've ventured on in a while.  Sorry about
the photo quality on some, it was my first time using a
digital camera (HP 315 for the curious) so I hope it
works for a newb.  Now quick question, does this make
me 'delurking' or have I delurked by posting before?

PLMKWYT!

Hasta la Vista, Sean