 General / 40191
Re: Feedback thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 12:46:22 GMT

<snip>
"> >Second:
As far as the elite-poster issue goes,<snip> Band together with the
majority and play well!

every community has those who stand out above the others.  I know that in
my group of friends they all admire my work, "Wow, how did you build that,
that is so clever etc..." but I know that there are many more out there
that are better.  but I also know that there are those who are not, but as
long as they share the same hobby as my I feel that they are my
equal.  those who believe that they are elitist, most likely are not.  not
really a Lego specific problem

</snip>

ok
after lot of stuff said that i agree with (and others i disagree with) some
points i think worth adding.
"my group of friends respond to what i do" . . well doesn't that explain  a
lot? what is normally thought as elite on lugnet, are as far as i know,
often people who have been around a lot (basiclly in terms of for a long
time). they have discussed with each other often enough to "know" each other
and might have even met in person. now when i'm on lugnet i don't and cannot
read everything. as i understand from other posts in this thread everybody
does that. so i read what interests me. of  course this does not only apply
to themes and groups, it also applies to persons. i always try to read what
admins of this site and others like bs or ldraw.org have to say and of
course if a name sounds familier i read that post. so i sort of keep to the
people i know, not that they know me of course. i think everybody does that.
naturally somebody who's name i've heard often or has said something of
interrest to me before, has more chances of me reading his post and thus of
me postin a respond. the same applys to geography. somebody that i know to
live near me simply is of more interrest to me. i dont think this is "bad",
its simply the way brains and communities work.

reading this thread though really makes me wonder wether i ever want to
belong to any elite group. the responsabilty is just to big, having to
respond to so many posts ;-) i now understand why some say they're taking a
leave, sometimes only from posting, otherwise they would infuriate people
for not posting responds.

another issue might be: mocs are not my only and not even my top interest on
lugnet. sorry don't want to offend anyone, but i don't believe i'm the only
one. my basic urge to get into lugnet was to get more info on lego! i
personally seek the infos on old lego and enjoy if somebody shares his
knowledge of my favorite toy. there have been quite some mocs i thought good
but i fear i have never responded on lugnet to them. this brings me to
another point. although i have been lurking on lego stuff on the internet
since 96/97 i think my first aktive post to lugnet was late 2001 or even
early 2002. reading is a lot easier than writing. (besides that english is
not my native language) posting to lugnet isn't that easy on the technical
side as well. i do not work on the same computer all the time and at the
moment have 3 active lugnet cookies on different machines (oops only 2, one
burnt some months ago). i never post from public terminals or from work and
again i think others might also avoid leaving cookies on every machine they
use.

this adds to the issue of speed or, more important for me, size. basiclly i
use the pc at work to view stuff on bs. simmply because it's faster there
and i don't have to worry on file size that much. this also forces me to
think twice wether i really want to save a picture and take it home as i
tend to save everything. i really do have to think twice wether i open a
folder on bs from home. bs has always been slow for me and some folders even
with thumbnails are simply too large in my opinion.

another point might be: what do people use to read lugnet? i use a
newsreader most of the times and do not download every subgroup, that would
take to long and i would loose track anyway. thats one of the good things on
lugnet in my opinion. i have my 15 or so themes, including say general cad,
trains and so on, and sorry to say so but for example not space or, not so
sorry, debate and i sort by date. lugnet is to large to read everything. i
also use the web interface and i must admit i don't always look at every
page in "whats new" until the point that i last looked. so i do think it is
quite easy to miss a post or even a thread on lugnet. i think this explains
why a post that gets a respond quickly tends to start a thread.

this is not the first post on this subject and i understand the issues but
what are you (plural and general not meant personally) asking for?
should prominent persons post more responds than others?
should new mocs stay in a whats new que until they are "certified" by enough
praise?
should you only be allowed to present a new moc when you have responded to
two others?

i don't mean to be harsh but
this is a normal community in real life and one of the warmest i know of.
please never stop to share a moc and be sure it is viewed by a lot of more
lurkers (like me for most of the time) than people that speak up. simply
take every turn of the counter as a "this moc interests me!"

maybe i should read the whole thread bevor i post?
but then i'll see that somebody else has put my points in better words?
maybe i should first do a spell check?
do i really want to send this? yes <x> or < >
so many reasons not to post. should i name them all?

some really nice posts in this thread, should save some...

oh well wont be able to access lugnet for some time now so wont be there if
someone wants to slap me so
so
so

merry brickmess and lotsa bricks in the new year
tw