 General / 40080
Re: Feedback thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 02:35:45 GMT

"John Henry Kruer" <jhkruer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:H76nKI.Eq4@lugnet.com...
I've noticed a big change in feedback here.  In the 'old' days of Lugnet,
every post would get responded, even a tiny model would generate a large
thread of discussion.

Now, feedback and people who give them seems to be divided into two • groups:
those who always give feedback and those who rarely give feedback.  Now, I
know that some people don't have the time to post feedback, but I mean,
things used to be a lot different.  Maybe people just lost the initial
enthusiasim of Lugnet?

My tendency to post went way down when they introduced the validation
procedure. You see, I use a newsreader program to read LUGNET forums, as it
is far superior to the web interface. Unfortunately, it necessitates the
tedious process of replying to email validation messages.

Most models or ideas often get maybe 1 or 2 or 3 replies, but then when a
particullar person or a particullar idea/fad posts, instantly, within
minutes, bunches of people start replying, and the original poster gets • five
or ten or fifteen replies.

You know, I wonder whether, with the ever increasing presence of building
talent on LUGNET, it might be becoming more and more difficult to "raise the
bar"... with the possible end result that people are, overall, less and less
amazed by new MOCs, so the feedback rate decreases accordingly. Just a
theory... not necessarily a good one (personally I don't feel like I've been
more impressed by MOCs in the past).

Sometimes this rule is broke in extremely good ideas/models, but often I • see
a model that I love and is really well built- and it gets 1 or 2 replies, • as
if nobody bothered to see it.

They're the ones I prefer to give feedback on, actually.

What's you're opinion on feedback?  Do you lurk, and sometimes post
responces to extraordinary things?  Or do believe everybody should get
feedback, just because?  Do think feedback is better in quantity or • quality?
Do you value of particullarly long, detailed, well-written posts over five
short, 'That's nice.  bye' posts?

I always try and avoid complimentary feedback when there's already a
mountain of it - which is probably why I've rarely complimented anyone...
:-\
I like giving (constructive) criticism, saying what I don't like about a MOC
or how I would have done it differently. It's a challenge, especially seeing
as I have to tread very carefully because (being a really lazy MOC poster) I
haven't really "earnt" the privilege :-)

--

Cheers,
Paul