 General / 40019
Re: Feedback thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 19:32:39 GMT

Lots of interesting things in this discussion. I'm not sure where to
hang my response, so I'll hang off the original post. Many of my points
have been stated already...

I think the biggest reason there are fewer replies is the whole
community is getting bigger. This means more people are posting
creations. I can only look at so many creations (and BrickShelf's
capacity problems dramatically reduce that). I also am trying to spend
less time on the computer doing LEGO stuff, so I do almost no browsing
at home in the evening (the will to do this has been helped by the
increasing size of pictures making them impractical to download over a
28k modem). Lugnet's posting process has also certainly put a crimp.

Another factor of the size of the community is that creations are more
likely to look the same as someone else's, at least enough that you look
at the creation and say "Oh, nice, another XYZ".

One thing I think I'm happy with is that it seems like virtual creations
are a smaller percentage of the creations I see. I am not at all
impressed by virtual creations which depend on parts that aren't
available in the colors used. To me, LEGO is about working with the
limits of the media, and a huge limit is the color palette (which is
also why I am not as thrilled as some by all the new colors - though I
confess to seeking them out).

Also, with more opportunities to see creations in person, I wonder if
people reserve a lot more of their comments for such opportunities.
Though even there, I get overwhelmed. I probably only looked at 10% of
the models at BrickFest 2002 and NWBrickCon 2002. I looked at even fewer
at BricksWest 2002 because the display was at the Legoland pavilion. In
contrast, I probably looked at 50% or more of the creations at BrickFest
2000. This issue is one reason things like the Moonbase and Modular
Castle Town are so great. Someone can gain recognition for their
contribution even if no one has a chance to really look at it. When you
see a table full of a consistent display, you really appreciate ALL the
work that went into it.

Frank