 General / 39988
Re: Feedback thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 23:28:52 GMT

In lugnet.space, John Henry Kruer writes:
I've noticed a big change in feedback here.  In the 'old' days of Lugnet,
every post would get responded, even a tiny model would generate a large
thread of discussion.

<snip>

What's you're opinion on feedback?  Do you lurk, and sometimes post
responces to extraordinary things?  Or do believe everybody should get
feedback, just because?  Do think feedback is better in quantity or quality?
Do you value of particullarly long, detailed, well-written posts over five
short, 'That's nice.  bye' posts?

Hi John,

I think I can agree there seem to be less responses to the average post here
in Lugnet, but I suppose it does not mean less attention is given to those
posts; IMO, people used to post a lot more back when everything was "new",
because there was a lot more "Aahh! effect" back then - I can remember that
my first months as a lurker here I saw plenty of fantastic constructions
that I had never thought possible.
That inicial effect tends to fade, as one gets more and more used to the
high standards within the building community. I do not mean to say that
those who build "smaller" get less attention or value from anyone who reads
their posts, or even less readers; what I mean is the "bigger" the *novelty
factor* is, the more actual feedback it will generate. An example would be
the Pods: in the beggining every pod got plenty of responses, but as newer
pods appeared the inicial enthousiasm began to fade (and IMHO some of the
more recent pods were the best of them all...)

Then, there is the "focus" effect; my own experience as a poster tells me I
used to read practically everything in my first 6 months as a poster, but
then my attention became a lot more focused on specific newsgroups (and some
others I just chose to ignore, because I have little understanding of what
is discussed there - CAD comes to mind rigt now). Now I spend a considerable
part of my time as a poster writing in loc.pt, where I was able to found
some other AFOLs who live near me, and only post in other groups
sporadically, whenever I encounter a specific problem OR by mere accident (I
recall some posts in loc.it that happened this way... :-)

Then there is the bad influence of schedules: people have less time to write
when they are engaged in their building projects - so fewer posts can
actually be a symptom af a healthy community, one that spends most of the
time using their fingers to build rather than to type. Which reminds me, I
have built little since the summer holidays... :-/

As for the post quality... I dunno, but perhaps a lot of "good stuff; bye"
posts aren't that good. I'd rather have a long reply where questions were
raised (like "how did you build that?" or "can you do it with this part
instead?") than plenty of "I saw it, it's OK, what's next?" posts. The first
kind actually means someone cared to look at one's work with attention, and
to me that is the biggest form to value work.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Pedro