 General / 39631
  Textured bricks that look like bricks?

Well, here's another one of my silly ideas: I got some black roof bricks today from Shop At Home. I was sorting them into their proper container, but of course couldn't resist snapping a few together into a roof segment, just to see how they looked. (...) (22 years ago, 28-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Textured bricks that look like bricks?

(...) It is possible, given brasso and elbow grease, to remove the texture from roof tiles. I discovered this by accident, when I removed the printing from several low slopes. (...) One face? That'd be okay for buildings without corners, I guess. (...) (22 years ago, 28-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Textured bricks that look like bricks?

(...) No, I don't want to remove the textured surface... I want them to add it to ordinary 1 x X and 2 x X bricks. :) (...) You're right. Perhaps on two sides... but then why not all four? I'm not sure what the best answer is. The roof bricks still (...) (22 years ago, 28-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Textured bricks that look like bricks?

(...) That's good, because it takes a *lot* of elbow grease :-) Cheers Richie (22 years ago, 28-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Textured bricks that look like bricks?

In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes: <snip neat idea> (...) This is done by train clubs all the time. (...) This is *said about* train clubs all the time... :-) (22 years ago, 28-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Textured bricks that look like bricks?

This is definitely sacrilige, but since this isn't my thread, maybe my karma will survive : sandblasting the bricks would probably produced the desired effect. Even scuffing them with course sand paper (100 grit or lower) might do it. "Allan (...) (22 years ago, 28-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Textured bricks that look like bricks?

(...) Is it people who like trains in general? At hobby-related shows I've seen the guys who set up the model railroads. They are an 'intense' bunch of folks. :) Larry, are there pictures of this technique that you can point us to? I'm curious to (...) (22 years ago, 28-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Textured bricks that look like bricks?

(...) I wondered who would be the first to use that word. :) (...) Now remember..... no regular bricks will be hurt in the process of making these special bricks. :) To be clear, I want the company to produce new bricks with this rough textured (...) (22 years ago, 28-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Textured bricks that look like bricks?

(...) I've seen lots. Assidious digging will surface more examples but here is one from our show of last July: start at our site (URL) through past events to the show report in question (URL) follow the links to Scott Sanburn's gallery: (URL) get to (...) (22 years ago, 28-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Textured bricks that look like bricks?

(...) I am very curious to see more of this technique. Actually, this type of building (diorama scale architecture?) is one of my favorite areas. I'm just now looking at what colors and bricks I need to be able to create some of the buildings I have (...) (22 years ago, 29-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Textured bricks that look like bricks?

(...) I'm now curious about the show. :) Is this a model railroad only show? Or are there other hobbies there? Two day duration? How many people (assuming this was open to the public) would have been through to see the setup? (...) Amazing. I also (...) (22 years ago, 29-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Textured bricks that look like bricks?

Xposted but FUT left to .general (...) Yes, it was a GATS show (www.GATS.org for info on this commercial train show organizing outfit) (...) Peripherally there might be some toy and suchlike being sold, as well as railfanning stuff like books and (...) (22 years ago, 29-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  On building buildings (WAS: Re: Textured bricks that look like bricks?)

(...) Indeed. And I think it was the cohesive look of your group's work that struck me. It looks as though it could have all been done by one person. Of course, that would be a person with a *really* large collection I suppose. As well, I have seen (...) (22 years ago, 29-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)