 General / 39634
Re: Textured bricks that look like bricks?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 03:19:25 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richie Dulin writes:
In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:
Well, here's another one of my silly ideas:

I got some black roof bricks today from Shop At Home.  I was sorting them
into their proper container, but of course couldn't resist snapping a few
together into a roof segment, just to see how they looked.

I looked at the slightly rough surface

It is possible, given brasso and elbow grease, to remove the texture from
roof tiles. I discovered this by accident, when I removed the printing from
several low slopes.

No, I don't want to remove the textured surface... I want them to add it to
ordinary 1 x X and 2 x X bricks.  :)

that they have on the top side only
and I had a thought:  What if LEGO were to make a set of bricks with this
treatment on one face of the brick?

One face? That'd be okay for buildings without corners, I guess.

You're right.  Perhaps on two sides... but then why not all four?  I'm not
sure what the best answer is.  The roof bricks still have flat shiny
sides... maybe this gives them the ability to snuggle up nicely with bricks
that are flat and shiny on all sides.

For people making buildings or structures I think this would add
another dimension of realism. Of course,
you'd need a nifty new color like 'brick red' or something like that.

...and something for the mortar.

On a truly large scale building, could you use 1 x X light grey plates
between each layer?  Possibly, but I think it's going a bit far.  :)

All the best,
Allan B.