 General / 39595
Slopes: 25 degree or 33?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 00:07:59 GMT

Just wondered why 'we' call nx3 slopes 33 degree, while TLC on S@H call them
25 degree slopes.
Measuring the actual slope I get 25.7 degrees *1].
Doin' the math for the effective slope I get 31.0 degrees *2].
Although both 25 and 33 are a bit off, there seems to be a case for either
one. My favourite would be 31/33 degrees, as that's the average slope you'll
get in your roof. Any other opinions on this?

For the 45 degree slope the math result for the effective slope is 50.2
degrees, and measuring the actual slope gives 43.9 degrees. So here I'd
favour calling them 50 degree slopes (though I know there's not a hope in
hell the name 45 degree slope is gonna change). TLC simply call them 'steep
slope' in the bulk section.

*1] That's using a scan I did the other day for Clark Corners archive of a
1x3 slope, drawing lines along the edges and letting Paint Shop Pro measure
the actual angles.
*2] With bricks having a ratio of 6:5, the 2(hor) x 1(vert) step these
slopes make gives a 6:10 ratio for the slope. Using the inverse tangent on
my calculator tells me that's an angle of 30.96375653 degrees.

Duq