 General / 38489
Re: Giant LEGO Mosaic event in Austin, Texas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 13:57:46 GMT

This is an interesting community project, indeed. I have a couple of
comments after reading the description and seeing the pic:

1) The description said over 600 large gray baseplates were used, yet
the mosaic appears to be smooth? How were the baseplates used?
2) A mosaic that size, and the 'pixel' size used appears to be huge! I'm
just trying to imagine the possibilties had single plate/brick
resolution been used on a 25'+ square mosaic... wow. From the pic it
looks as if the basic 'pixel unit' used was about 16 studs wide. But, of
course, since it was the kids building it... it had to be kept
relatively simple.

Fun,

eric

Anthony Sava wrote:
This past weekend, the LEGO company, along with support from the United States
Postal Service, hosted an event to construct a huge LEGO stamp.  The stamp
measured 25 x 37 feet and was made up of over 172,000 bricks.  I wrote up a
quick description here:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/savatheaggie/LEGO-stamp/z_about.txt

Of course, some of the information could be wrong, I don't have the greatest of
memories.  Someone please correct me if anything is wrong.

Until the folder is moderated, here is a picture:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/savatheaggie/LEGO-stamp/p9150007.jpg

I also used my camera to make a little quicktime movie, which has been uploaded
to the folder, which is here:

It was a great event, I had a great time.

--Anthony
http://www.ozbricks.com/ikros