 General / 38144
Re: Lego Mosaic/Sculpture Beginnings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 13:16:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake Rentar writes:
Hi guys,

     As some of you know, I am a kid.  Not an AFOL, not an ROFOL (really
old fan...)  14, to be exact.  I have an extensive collection but now it
seems I am only interested in technic models and, the extreme, lego mosaics
and sculptures of bulk bricks.  The line of separation grows everyday and
soon I will have to choose which to give up temporarily as my budget is not
that of an AFOL's.  I currently have thousands of different sized bricks and
plates in some basic reds, yellows, blue, blacks, whites, etc.  I have a
good number of baseplates (one 48x48, a bunch of 16x32's and some smallers)
that total somewhere around 200x50 studs when all connected.  I have more
than enough bricks to fill twice those baseplates.

Here is where I will get to the point.  What is the best way to acquire a
very *large* amount of bulk bricks?  I love 1x1s, but the only way to get a
large amount of new 1x1 plates is the mosaic.  Those are $30 each, that gets
pricey when you want a lot --  and I have a small budget.  Bricklink is cool
because you can get different set prices, but 1)Everyone nickel-and-dime's
you and 2) I can't seem to find hundreds of the same type of brick, most
people just put up 10 bricks.  Ebay is cool because it's probably the best
price, but everything is used.

Is the best bet to get 75% off clearances and garage sales?  I don't know,
maybe you guys can help! Remember, I'm only a kid but I do want to pursue
this hobby!

Thanks so much!
Jake

If you want the 1x1 plates in Mosaic Kit colors you will be hard pressed to
get them cheaper than by buying the Kits.  Factor out $10 for the baseplate
and you are getting the plates (over 2,000 of them) for under $.01/piece.
Less than $.01/stud is a great deal on any bulk brick/plate.

I'm playing around with ideas for some color mosaics myself and getting
color 1x1 plates in any quantity is very pricey - $.08 or $.10 each on a
good day - and some colors simply aren't available en masse.  If you're on a
budget then go greyscale or use bricks (which will still cost more than
Mosaic Kits if you need to buy much.)

HTH,
John