 General / 38
Re: 1st post?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 18:51:46 GMT

Mmmmm.....  Trust me when I say I'm no scientist, or even all that
bright for that matter, but it would seem to me that a windmill would
have to have blades (?) of a minimum size before the wind hitting them
would actually make them move, wouldn't it?  I wonder if you could
hope to make one that big, if it would have to be big...

Same, here, I'm no scientist, or that bright in matters technical......
My designs had utilised a single axle to hold the thingie with the
blades. I had been successful in getting it to turn with a minimum of
2x 2x16 plates x3 for blades. They managed to turn with a desk fan on
minimum power, and drive a 90 degree angled axle. Adding a third shaft,
at the bottom of the tower, driven by the 2nd, causes it to seize, even
with the fan on full power. (A configuration like so:  ¯|_  ) Subsequent
redesigns involved gearing up, down and in-between, using multiple
combinations/configurations, all to no or minimal avail. Increasing
the size of the fans increases gravity-induced friction, and reduces
the ability of the fans to turn. I had thought of using a turntable and
having the fans horizontally to that. It would reduce one axle thingie,
and possibly enable a bigger fan. Anyway, it will probably, ultimately,
prove a complete waste of time, and wouldn't ever do anything worthwhile,
but the fun is in the challenge!!

I have also been inspired by a documentary about Nepal and from where they
get electricity. Many waterfalls there, as well as tiny fissures in the
rockface. Some of these fissures have waterfalls, and 100metre drops. They
had put mini-generators at the bottom of these waterfalls, and generate a
small amount of electricity. I think maybe sufficient for a couple of
lights.
I thought of doing a watermill-type thing as a result. But rather than using
water, I thought I would simulate water with 1x1 bricks, and as I don't have
100 metres worth of bricks, thought I might build a 2metre tall "fissure".
Pour the bricks in at the top, drive a little mill at the bottom!

nospam.richard.dee@virgin.net              remove nospam dot
Web Sight: http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888                 ICQ 13177071