 General / 37964
Re: Yes, it is so...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 16:58:11 GMT

Wow, Kiby that's some post, here a few additional thoughts, again a little
something I picked up on at Bricks West 2002, Star Wars IS today's Space
theme, it was said by a reputable source that TLC is going to Play out the
Star Wars theme and continue to co-exist with the movies. It was said that
TLC is just not going to produce other Space themes or bring back the Old
Spaces themes beacuse Star Was is big and they don't want to compete against
themselves. A smaller release of Space type themes wouldn't fair well
against the larger and currently successful Star Wars line. I guess they
just don't want to take that chance.

Then again it is a little disconcerting to see TLC be something other than
themselves. The other Space themes were original to Lego, Star Wars is not
originallyt theirs, I respect the original themes more. That's just me.

And then there is this:

When I do Art Shows, ALOT of people always ask the same types of questions;
How much did that (those) creation(s) cost to make? (about xxx$$$) OMG!
Can't you get the parts you need separetely?

Some yes and some parts no.

I always tell people the same thing; TLC is smart about making their stuff
collectible. I mean purely from a money making aspect, would you rather sell
a pack of 50 slopes for 5 bucks or scatter them thoughout 20 differnt sets
for a an average cost of $20 Each?

TLC is smart as far as that goes, and yes, when I see a model that has rare
and a great quantity of unique peices, I say to myself, wow, check that out!
That must have been hard to get, or wow, that must have cost a fortune!
That's the challange, that's the drive to get us to buy the sets and use the
parts as we need them. If they make it to easy to get individual parts, who
would by the sets except those who really want the overall models.

I'm playing devil's advocate.

But then there is this....

If TLC did sell bulk parts of all the pieces that they make, a great thing
would happen:

The whole world would see the fantastic creations that could be made with
Lego, selling bulk of all parts would unlock the potential of many peoples
creativity, it's a marketing tool that would scream what Lego is capable of.

Now that is priceless. Having the public who is not very familair with the
great assortment of parts and peices see the potential of Lego first hand.

How is that different than seeing the monumental creations at the theme
parks or Big Toy stores, it the same, big models show what Lego is capable of.

You would have to collect every set for 10 years to make some of the more
complex MOCs out there. It's kind of a turn off, people that may be
interested in building, say, oh I'd love to make stuff like that, I just
don't know how to get the parts or I don't want to make that big of an
investment.

Sort of like seeing a race car, sure I would like one, but sheesh! all the
investment and time it would take to build one from scratch.

Perhaps, any peices that have been in existence for a certain period of time
can come out of collectiblity phase and be made available in bulk.

I'm not trying to make any one point per sey, I just see both sides of this
argument that I brought up.

Legomaster