 General / 37641
Re: BUILDER'S BLOCK - AHHHHHHHHH!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 16:54:28 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Baulch writes:

The trouble is, it has happened several times now, and I've ended up with
several projects which are all either half finished or barely started, and
I'm really not sure how to continue them, even though I have a definite idea
of what I want to eventually make. I've been inspired to complete some
decent stuff in the past, so I guess it must be builder's block.

How long has it been going?  You might want to just keep putting them aside and
revisiting the project every month or so until you're inspired to do it.

What I'm
afraid of, is that it might be a fear of proceeding down a path of
construction that I may eventually be unhappy with, yet I might not not have
the time nor the inclination to rebuild it. It's kind of silly, but I do
notice myself preparing to build it a certain way, and go, "no wait, that
might not be the right way", and end up building no further... it's kind of
frustrating.

This describes the classic response to an over-competitive environment.  I'd
say it's more likely that you're an American rather than an African Bushman.

Maybe you could just pick a project and _make_ yourself build.  Repeat to
yourself "There's no harm if it's not right -- I can take part off and refine
it" or something.  I used to tell my son that the great thing about building
with LEGO is that you can break it and fix it and change it.  Now he sometimes
tells me.  :-)

Chris