 General / 37604
Re: Interesting pic in Lego Magazine July - August 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:12:54 GMT

Look on page 18 where the Cool Creations are.  There's a kid pictured with • a
Millenium Falcon.  Except it's the exact Lego set with no modifications
whatosever.  If TLG thinks it's cool that a seven year-old can "create"
something by following the instructions they got with the set, we should • all
get our pictures in this magazine every month!

I suspect Cool Creations are more about including as many kid's photos as
they can rather than doing any serious judging of the creations themselves.
I think the idea is to convey the message "lots of kids love Lego, just like
you, maybe you could build something and send in a photo and get it
published too".

If the creations were judged too seriously and only the best MOCs included,
then there is a risk that the average kid is going to look at them and say
"gosh, I'm not as good as that, I'm a failure with Lego, I think I'll go
play with something else."

Certainly if I were publishing the magazine, I'd make sure that it showed
lots of ordinary kids doing whatever they normally do with Lego.

Compare it with the AFOL world. While there are competitions from time to
time to award the accolades, LUGnet and brickshelf let all of us say "hey,
look what I did".

Kerry