 General / 36772
Re: Poor Mans Work Table
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.general, lugnet.storage, lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2002 15:12:12 GMT

I too really like your table edge- keeping pieces off the floor is important
with cats with a chewing fetish.

Has anyone thought of putting a 'funnel' or 'pour spout' on their table?
I don't have room for such a table right now, but as soon as I have a real
house, I plan on building some kind of construction site table. I think it
would be very handy to incorporate some kind of quick-clear spout or hole at a
far end, maybe with a rubber stopper.

Aaron Sneary

In lugnet.build, Brad Mittelstedt writes:
The following work table was my Sundays project.  For starters I use to build
on a 3/8 inch 4x8 board layed across a printer stand and a old desk.  To say
the least it was very flimsy.  After I started seeing the middle starting to
sag in and having horrifing thoughts of 100,000 legos falling to the floor, I
knew it needed to be upgraded.

So I bring you "The Poor Mans Work Table".  As it stands right now, I do not
have the building instructions up on my web page as of yet.  That will take a
little time to do.  (I have step-by-step photos, and material bought,
measurments, etc)  But I could not wait, so I am throwing out some teasers.

The goal of "The Poor Mans Work Table" is to provide one hell of a table to
work on, for minimal cost, and very little building experience needed to
construct it (hence the saw horses).  Also I will discuss the "gottchas" that
got me so you do not make the same mistakes.

This is "The Poor Mans Work Table"  Total cost for this: A whopping $40.00 USA

http://members.cox.net/viffer/factory/table1.jpg

But after I built the poor mans table, which I thought was going to be good
enough to go, I started adding options.  And came up with this. (please note • ..
that is NOT some minifig Tie Interceptor.  That small little thing is full
blown 7181 .. just to give you and idea of the real estate I have to work with
here)

This is "The Nice Poor Mans Work Table"  Total cost: $72.00 USA.

http://members.cox.net/viffer/factory/table2.jpg

And this is a photo of what the environment for working on models would look
like.  Note that BEHIND the stack on drawers there are 3033 tubs , giving you
some storage room to boot.

http://members.cox.net/viffer/factory/table3.jpg

Now once I get things written up, I will explain more about the saw horses I
used for legs.  First, they where cheap and kept the price down.  Secondly,
they are detachable, so you can actually use them as saw horses (double duty).
Not to mention, the table can then be picked up and layed against a wall or
something.  Thirdly, they were very simplistic to make.

After I did the table top and paint, I realized that the saw horses do not
quite go with it.  I think that I am going to build something different to use
instead of the horses.  Either that or paint them.  Its a work in progress.

AND not only that, but the table could be used as a garage table for a party,
other crafts, etc.  Its very strong also.  I weigh in at 200 pounds and was
walking on top of it while it was sitting on the horses. (the saw horses are
snuggly fit and can not move, but more on this once I get the full
instructions up)

Note:  I am posting this also the lugnet.space just because I think that it is
relevant that it is VMI's construction factory.

Brad M.
Viffer Militech Inc.
http://members.cox.net/viffer