 General / 36536
36535  |  36537
Subject:
The Very Bad Poetry Hour (was Re: WhAt EvEr!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 05:33:02 GMT

Mercutio Alla Stoccato

[Mercutio's ghost speaks as he floats above the heads of Romeo and Tybalt
who are dueling.]

Mer.   For taking up what I took up in your stead,
I thank you, villain, I once called good friend.
This but seals what has been my untimely end.
'Zounds! But I thought this would be an ending
To my final pain,  but to see you two,
Fighting thus, a Prince of Cats and the mouse
He but plays withal, pains me further still!
A plague a' both your houses! I am made dead,
Worms' meat, without even the grant of short shrift!
Romeo, know you so much as that this
Butcher of buttons and bosoms did send you
A challenge not just this morning?  Go to
Thy father's house and search for this paper,
For in fighting in your place, it has become
To me the cursed warrant for my death.
I knew you were no match for this duellist,
So I made the quarrel you, love-struck, would not.
When I saw you bow with all civility,
To this rat-catcher, my humour left me.
Upon this clownish visage now lived fury
I could not contain with all my sharpest wit.
Where goodly humour had once been, was now
Supplanted by my rapier's too quick wit.
One can only exchange words for so long
'Till swift actions must prove one's intentions true,
Driving the point home at the tip of a blade.
Alas, I stay too long.  I think I hear
Jehovah's throng singing me to my rest.
Ah, good!  Here he comes, my equal now...Tybalt!
I have stayed but to 'consort' you away...

[Exeunt Mercutio and Tybalt]

-- Hop-Frog