 General / 36499
Re: Legends: good or bad?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 22:00:26 GMT

In lugnet.general, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
In lugnet.general, David Eaton writes:
If you're against Legends because they're not valueable to you, so
what? Why are they a bad thing if *other* people want them? Why is it bad
for Lego to make a product that sells well?

I fear there is no room for two lines of Legends - the ones I would like to
see and the ones that exist (and will be made in future). These Sets are made
basically for AFOLs and therefor I am more upset here as about Galidor - This
should be my part of market in the TLC program, but it does not serve me.
Any further Legend lowers the chance to see a "perfect" new set. Ok, we have
got the santa fe despite of the metroliner II. So mayby I am wrong in this
point.

Well, the problem is that a lot of AFOLs have nostalgic value for sets. Old
sets even pay off in nostalgia for kids-- there's something appealing about
a "golden age" that's included in the word 'Legend'. Lego's cashing in on
that. They wouldn't with new sets. Which pays off more? I couldn't tell
you-- I don't have the numbers.

My personal hope is that the Legends will do really well. And in so doing,
TLC will provide brand new non-juniorized product lines, reminiciant of
older themes.

If it is so much less worth to you, you would not have to pay that. Just
obmit to have one and buy other sets with better price piece relatio
instead. What is the problem?

That's a problem because there AREN'T new sets with the same pieces or piece
ratios.

I think there are a lot of them: most of the sculptures have perfect piece
assortments. Model team has been perfect during the last decade. Later there
have been Adventurers and Star Wars as really good sets.

Well, that's true if you're into building Star Wars sets and sculptures--
but (for example) castle builders just don't have the same
good-castle-building-part ratio in new sets as can be found in things like
the Guarded Inn or BFF. Sure, you can get castle figs from SW sets and KK
sets-- and you can get bulk castle bricks from SW, and sculptures-- and you
can get little tidbits from Harry Potter & Belville-- but it's not as
"value-for-your-money" as an old-style castle set. And admittedly, it's
getting better with things like the bulk selection, etc. But it's not there yet.

I guess I would rather see a quality set LIKE the Guarded Inn or the
Metroliner in stores than to see a re-release.

100% agreement!

At least that's something-- I must admit initially I had a rather harsher
view of your point from threads going around previously on Lugnet, wherein I
seem to recall set rarity being an issue (which I am firmly against).

But we aren't going to get them.
Lego Direct is doing the Legends line. And they don't have the ability
to release & design new sets.

What about the sculptures? Rebel Blockade Runner? Sopwith Camel etc..

Are these Lego Direct's products? I was under the impression that they
weren't-- that LD handled Legends, S@H, Lego.com, and Bulk? At any rate,
even then LD can produce more if it doesn't have to go through months of
design work to produce a set. Much cheaper and less time consuming for LD.
And if that helps accelerate us to the point when we can get new, quality,
non-juniorized sets, then great! I'm hoping, anyway...

DaveE