 General / 36496
Re: Legends: good or bad?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 19:38:34 GMT

In lugnet.general, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
BUT - of course here comes a "but" - I am only a collector for some few sets
(that are less than 10% among of all the Lego material I do own.  So I
have not been arguing against the legends as a collector - I simply see
nothing good on Legends. They do not give anything to me. And the people who
would like to have a legend, I think these people would have no problem
with having something "equivalent". That is the main point.

No, I don't believe that's your point. If that were your point, I'd expect
you to be equally annoyed with DUPLO, the Mickey Mouse sets, Jack Stone,
etc. If you're against Legends because they're not valueable to you, so
what? Why are they a bad thing if *other* people want them? Why is it bad
for Lego to make a product that sells well?

If it is so much less worth to you, you would not have to pay that. Just obmit
to have one and buy other sets with better price piece relatio instead. What
is the problem?

That's a problem because there AREN'T new sets with the same pieces or piece
ratios. There aren't any currently available sets with crusader emblems or
classic space logos or 12v track. The only ones that exist are pricey
originals-- in short supply and often in used condition.

First I would like to see more good sets like for e.g. 10020!

Agreed. I guess I would rather see a quality set LIKE the Guarded Inn or the
Metroliner in stores than to see a re-release. But we aren't going to get
them. Lego Direct is doing the Legends line. And they don't have the ability
to release & design new sets. And the rest of the design department is under
pressure of juniorization, Bionicle, Galidor and the like. But I sure won't
complain if they re-release old sets! It doesn't hurt anything, except for
the market value of previously rare pieces, which is the ONLY point I can
see yours being if you really *are* convinced that Legends are in fact *bad*.

And who knows, maybe the Legends will sell really well and convince the rest
of TLC to go back to their non-juniorized ways... But for now we can only hope.

DaveE