 General / 3625
3624  |  3626
Subject:
J.L. HUDSONS LEGO Window - 1962.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 18:15:06 GMT

Last week I was at a historic preservation meeting at a Detroit group
that I belong to (called Preservation Wayne).  At that meeting a fellow
who knows I collect LEGO gave me a color copy of a 1962 window display
from the J.L. Hudsons department store.  This downtown Detroit store,
flagship of the Hudsons chain, was the 2nd largest department store in
the world (at 2.2 million square feet) after Macy's in New York.  It its
heyday the 28 story department store had 100,000 customers per day!
Last October it became the worlds largest demolition "implosion", making
way for 5 new office buildings.

Anyway,  this 1962 photo has a Junior Constructor (#717), a Town Plan
(#725) and several other 1962 sets.  Also included are a 7 foot tall
Empire State Building, the "Hexenbuergermeister Haus, Lemgo" (Warlock
Mayors House, Lemgo Germany), ships, a LEGO mosaic, etc.  LEGO takes up
the entire department store window, and the heading says "LEGO SYSTEM by
Samsonite", and in smaller letters "A Toy for Today and Tomorrow",

I am going to a friends house tonight (who has 5 scanners), and I am
gonna get a lot of stuff scanned, including this photo, and about 19
different Parts Pack box pictures from the 1950's and 1960's.  Also the
International Building Idea Book #1 and Der LEGO Motor (#242).

Stay tuned.

Gary Istok