 General / 36
35  |  37
Subject:
BURPS vs. Playmobil Rock Sys.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 14:04:44 GMT

As I was looking through Playmobil's '98 catalog I noticed their "rock
system."  Each rock is a rounded stone shape piece of plastic that can
connect to another rock.  I thought it was interesting because the rocks
could be combined to make large rock formations.  I think this is a
really neat idea and is a very "constructive" concept for a "playset"
toy like Playmobil.

I have always found it hard to make landscapes with Lego because of the
enormous amount of bricks it takes.  BURPS make it easier to create
larger landscapes and I know someone created a great mountain out of
them a little while ago.  Myself, I find it hard to connect a lot of
BURPS together.

I think it would be neat if Lego made larger amorphous shapes like the
Playmobil rocks but covered with studs.  One thing I have noticed about
Lego is that the studs are always very linear.  Why not have studs on
angles on a molded piece or baseplate?  Of course you couldn't build on
top of these going straight up, but it would be nice for landscaping
(1x1 flowers could be attached at various angles, trees and other
landscape pieces).  Maybe there could even be a "flexi-brick" that could
be used as the foundation to a building that was built up straight on
these pieces/baseplates.

--
Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu