 General / 35517
Re: Possible crawler-bot alert?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 15:05:53 GMT

I would say I am having this problem also.  I don't know the content of the
ads as I tend to just delete them on sight.  Maybe I am wrong about where
the leak in my information is coming from, but what caught my eye is my FULL
name in some of the subject lines.  The only place where I regularly use my
full name and also reveal my email address is lugnet!

Is it now allowable to alter ones posted contact information?  At the
moment, I don't care who associates me with the things I have written here
so I am not so much interested in blocking my name or email address by using
false information that would make it difficult for real persons to find me,
but I would like to insert something like the word "hullaballooza" in
between the words comprising this information in order to block spiders/bots
from spamming me with this unaltered and apparently easily acquired
information.  I know Tony Hafner uses something like the word "Pants" in his
email address -- but do such measures actually work?.

In all my years on the net, I have only ever posted to perhaps 5 newsgroups
including lugnet, and been on maybe 3 mailing lists.  Almost all of that
activity came to a halt many months ago -- except for lugnet (and even there
I am trying to cut back for the sake of getting more important stuff done,
no offense intended). I suppose it doesn't take much to get one's name out
there for the spammers, but it saddens me to think that we are now faced
with this blow to our honesty here on lugnet in using our real names and
such. As someone that doesn't actually receive a lot of spam, I have no idea
what measures to take against it.  I am an infrequent poster to anything but
lugnet -- so I am not exactly the genius of netiquette (although I have
learned a few things over time) or of anti-spam techniques.

What to do, what to do...

-- Hop-Frog