 General / 35409
35408  |  35410
Subject:
Possible crawler-bot alert?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 23:59:20 GMT

   Hi,

   I just wanted to ask if there's any evidence we've been visited by
   a spambot lately--suddenly there's been an enormous spike in spam
   (two or three a day, up from one every six months) to my .msu.edu
   account, which I *only* use to post here and have a forwarding
   set from.  It's possible that it could be an odd mailing-list sale,
   but because my address hasn't been responsive it's much more likely
   that something is out there farming email addresses.

   Is this possible, or are there measures in place to prevent this?
   Have others been noticing a problem, especially as concerns debt-
   reduction and cell-phone ads?  I do recall Todd having said something
   about ways that LUGNET's setup prevents webcrawlers from farming
   here.

   many thanks,

   LFB

   Xpost -> .admin.general, followups not yet set