 General / 35188
35187  |  35189
Subject:
Girl themes (Was Re: What themes have been most universally discounted?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 18:10:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Christopher L. Weeks writes:

I was just reviewing the last couple years of S@H specials and I started
wondering about which lines were such bombs that they were almost always
discounted.  It takes time for even the worst sets to hit a discount, but
after that which ones have really sunk?

I've only been watching prices for just under four years so I don't have
long-term awareness.  I've seen Insectoids and Time (Twisters | Cruisers)
pretty much suck the sale shelves.  What else has done that?

Sometimes themes languish on store shelves not because they are bad themes but
because there isn't much of a market for them.  The "girl themes" fall into
this category.  In the early to mid 90's TRU carried three of the larger
Paradisa sets, 6411, 6416 and 6419, as well as a few smaller ones.  They also
carried two of the larger Belville sets, 5870 and 5880.  I know that all of
these mentioned except 6411 went to discount-- 5880 could be had for about $12.

6411, 6416, and the Belville sets turned up in quantity at MacFrugal's (Pic n'
Save at the time), along with those monorail supports in 1995.  Of course, I
kick myself regularly for not having bought more.

The pink Freestyle sets 4151 and 4161 went to clearance at Walmart-- I bought a
few of each at $6  and $10(?) respectively. (I understand Gary I. was smart and
bought major quantities!)  TRU, Target, and Walmart got 6414 Dolphin Point,
which came out a year or two after the above Paradisa sets, but TLC must have
adjusted the supply to fit the demand because they never lasted to clearance.
So I only bought one of those and kick myself regularly for that also.

5860 Love and Lullabies was also widely available, but went to discount and
still appears as a S@H special.  I believe the main reason the Belville theme
has survived is because of its popularity in Europe-- hence we generally don't
find it on the shelves here.

I will be interested to see how HP sets 4723 and 4721 do in the long run-- they
were obviously designed to capture more of the girl market. (I have heard they
were discounted at Walmart, but the two copies I bought are certainly not my
last!).

Maggie C.