 General / 34995
Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 10:55:54 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jon Palmer writes:
There might be a few who disagree with me on this, but I think >something
needs to be done about this.  I'm very tired of checking out the >BrickShelf
recent updates page to see it flooded with these annoying pixelated >images.
I think this is just as bad as people using BrickShelf to upload pictures
for Ebay.

I'd agree except for one small consideration. These images don't generate
cashflow of any kind. The Ebay pics do and offend me as well.

I'm not complaining about the photos of Bionicle Mocs.
I hope not. ;) If you do, then I'll start in on my anti-castle crusade again.

These constantly
flood the recent updates as well but at least they pertain more to Lego >and building.

There's no question about that. The next level of great mecha builders is
creating using this format as a starting point.

These Avatar images (etc..) seem to pertain to a website called
BionicleZone. Could the creators of these images please keep these >where they belong and off BrickShelf.

Where do such pictures belong? Following your request, I assume that posts
on Lugnet should be hosted by Lugnet, pictures and all. Last time I checked,
the ftx pages didn't work that way.

I ask only because I see plenty of posts on Lugnet and elsewhere that have
links to Brickshelf and I don't see any complaints about them. I've seen
numerous pictures placed on Brickshelf that have absolutely nothing to do
with building Lego. Drawings, partial catalog scans, Legoland trip pics, box
pictures with pricetags, LDraw presentations, newspaper scans-all of these
are potentially in jeopardy becuase they have no direct bearing on Lego
building. Would you see these go too? Like it or not, Bionicle is a part of
the Lego community as much as castle and train are.

As more people use BrickShelf, traffic increases. Neither of us may like
this fact, but it's true. You have a problem with some of the content and so
do I, but ultimately only Kevin can choose what stays and what goes.

While it's true that only one avatar can be used at a time, many people
(read: teens) like to have a variety of images available at their disposal.
Why? Because they are teenagers. The adults on the site don't change things
quite so quickly.

I brought all of this up as one of the BZ moderators. As moderator Lego
Mecha, I run the Bionicle creations forum (MOCs featuring Bionicle), the
Lego creations forum (Non-Bionicle MOCs), and others that don't require the
use of pictures to show works in progress.

I realize that Bionicle is just a fad and these images will probably
dissapear in 4 months (at least until the new wave comes out)  but I >can't wait that long.

Try next month. The new wave has already begun. Bionicle is as much a fad as
any system has been. I might not like castle, but I know it's not a fad.
Neither is Bionicle. Now Znap is another story..... :)

This is one of the most opinionated things I've ever posted to Lugnet but
this issue is really bothering me and I haven't noticed any other posts
about it. I apologize if this has been addressed.

Jon, I understand the frustration, but we moderators work hard to make sure
that there are other options available besides BrickShelf. BZ's owner was
intending for this to be a side project. Growing to nearly 1000 members in 6
months' time isn't a side project-it's a full time job. Please bear with us
as we continue to grow and attempt to find acceptable solutions for all of
our 'growing pains'.

-Dave
BZ Moderator: Lego Mecha

-Jon