 General / 34917
Re: LEGO tools
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 21:57:20 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.general, Ross Crawford writes:
Hi All,

I recently made these
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RoscoHead/etc/tool01.jpg to attach the
light poles to my bridge. They're one-off fairly specific tools, but made a
big difference 'cos I had over 50 to attach, and wanted to make sure they
were all nicely centred.

Can you talk to how these tools help? Maybe a shot (slightly less blurry) of
one being used to attach the pole?

Sorry, yeah that wasn't a real clear picture. Here's how I used them
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=9766 and you can see the
actual result bottom right corner of this pic

I also usually have one of these
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RoscoHead/etc/tool02.jpg or these
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RoscoHead/etc/tool03.jpg lying around to
help with removal of stubborn friction pins.

These seem clearer as to intent.

These are all technic related building tools "built from LEGO to help build
with LEGO" (is that a neat line or what?). I was wondering if anyone else
has built tools with LEGO (one-off or "permanent") to help them with their
building?

I don't build tools much but I have in the past built fixtures/jigs. These
are stationary things that help hold assemblies in place as they are being
built. The first one I built was to put together hopper bodies back when I
was building them up and taking them apart (for MTW-1001) rather than just
counting out the parts.

The fixture is basically a frame that holds the bottom frame at the right
elevation point, with low spots for the bay doors, and which is surfaced in
tiles so things don't stick. One side uses slopes instead of regular bricks
so it's easy to slide partially completed assemblies in and out quickly.

Don't s'pose you have any pics? I just remembered I also used a frame to
hold up my crane during assembly, there's a pic here
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=35248 frame's in the bottom
left corner (more apologies for pic quality).

ROSCO