 General / 34836
34835  |  34837
Subject:
Who said TLC forgot their heritage?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 21:15:59 GMT

I know some of us have said that TLC needs to look at their past.  Browsing
around lego.com, I came across this interesting page:

http://www.lego.com/build/features/capsule/1986/default.asp

Click on each of the sets on the right, and you get a neat description.
Clearly, these were written for the younger viewers, but it also calls up
fond memories for those of us who were around when these sets were.  But I
especially like the quote at the bottom of the set pages:

-"The 1980s were a period of many different themes for LEGO sets. In 1986,
these themes were known as LEGOLAND. One of the first themes was Town: all
the buildings and vehicles, from banks to tow trucks, that you need to make
a modern LEGO city."-

That clearly shows that TLC sees the old town sets as, well, *old*, speaking
of them in the past tense only.  They are viewed as a classic thing of the
past, not of the present or future.  I am not saying that is good or bad,
but it does give a perspective from TLC on the matter.

I'd like to see more such "Time-Capsules", perhaps with a TLC perspective
summary such as this one but for every few years when the product lines had
changed considerably.  It provides a nice walk down memory lane, and might
also prove interesting to those who had a dark age...

Cheers,
-Hendo