 General / 34604
Re: "MOC" Blacksmith Shop on lego.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 04:46:44 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Allan Bedford writes:

them selling something like 1/3 to 1/2 as many pretty easily (and at
less than 10 cents a brick assuming the price and piece count is
correct, we will be buying many of them to part out - in fact, it's kind
of amusing that a set developed from parting out official sets is one of
the best candidates for parting out itself -

Is it just me, or is there something out of whack with this sort of
thinking?  If this really is a strong reason that people would want to buy
this set, then the company needs to look at bulk parts in a brighter light
than ever before.

It's a very compelling reason.  I haven't bought a set for the main model in
years; everything is a parts source.  I'm positive I'm not the only AFOL out
there like this, either.

I'm exactly the opposite.  I will ONLY buy a set that I like and I only buy
it for the set.  Whatever parts it happens to contain then so be it.  This
currently explains why I don't buy a lot of sets. Most of the current
offerings are so shallow on design that anything I build at home looks better.

When I built my adult collection of bricks from scratch 3 years ago I was
lucky.  It happened to be the 30th anniversary year of LEGO in Canada.  All
the Zellers and Wal-Mart stores were full of anniversary buckets and tubs.
I loaded up on tons of basic bricks.  Then I bought a number of Technic and
eventually Star Wars sets, along with an assortment of others, to round out
my collection with a smattering of 'specialty bricks'.

As it turns out, I should have bought 3 times as many buckets and tubs.  To
find one today in a Zellers is like finding Bill Gates loading MP3's onto an
iPod.

And as for sets... well as mentioned above I only buy things that look great
as a set.  This doesn't leave much to buy nowadays.  Anything of good design
is only available through Shop At Home and thanks to exchange, duty and
shipping, I don't use Shop At Home.  If any one reading this doesn't yet
understand my frustration with this company, feel free to write me and I'll
elaborate further.

Regards,
Allan B.