 General / 34343
  Re: my biggest beef with the new product is...

(...) When did this become a bad thing? I thought that taking parts out of their natural context and using them in new ways was a sign of creativity. Take the showels on the front of the UCS Tie Fighter, for example. I think it is a brilliant idea (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: my biggest beef with the new product is...

(...) If I may add to Richard's sentiment, I think the problem is that TLC often includes a juniorized shortcut part instead of a series of more broadly useful parts, and the apparent intent is to reduce production costs (NOT retail price) at the (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  (canceled)

  (canceled)

  Re: my biggest beef with the new product is...

(...) Now *this* is the part I can't seem to get. Say you have 3 elements, and you want to reduce costs, so you create a new, juniorized piece that combines all three. Now say each of these bricks costs you .02 to produce. And then the new element (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: my biggest beef with the new product is...

(...) And I agree with Richard. There's no impenetrable barrier between SYSTEM and Stone, of course, but the migration of big, single-use parts from the admittedly outcome-play-oriented Stone into the nominally construction-play-oriented SYSTEM is (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: my biggest beef with the new product is...

(...) Ok, how about these: (URL) curved track 9v straight track 9v points 9v crossing 12v points 12v crossing 12v conductor rails How many things can you build out of them? (note that I left out the 4.5v/12v straight rail since I have seen some good (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: my biggest beef with the new product is...

(...) **snip of some modular but essential train elements** (...) True, but since LEGO Trains have mostly been niche market (that is, they've never had as widespread a retail presence as SYSTEM (though Train is of course the best longitudinal (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: my biggest beef with the new product is...

(...) And the tail wags the dog-- they create the juniorized parts to save money, and then feel obligated to *use* them ubiquitiously to get their back their investment, and suddenly the parts are dictating set designs, not the designers. -John (23 years ago, 6-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: my biggest beef with the new product is...

(...) [...breaking back into the thread where I think my dot will look the prettiest!] I just want to give one example of the kinds of elements I was referring to: reference the big picture of LOM set #7317 and take a gander at those purple (single (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)