 General / 33898
Re: Lugnet can always grow; it's up to us to make it happen.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 19:24:39 GMT

"Amy Hughes" <lugnews@public.atreides.org> wrote in message
no comment usually fall into a couple categories:
1. bad MOCs. (snip)
2. bad Nettiquette. (snip)
3. Bad presentation/communication. (snip)

I can add a couple of specific peeves:
4. "I just added three more bricks, come see"--laborious.
5. "Here's the MOC link, and three hundred confusing paragraphs

I'd add...

6. Site has too many ads. If it opens a window I didn't ask for, wants to
install a plugin or tosses a doubleclick cookie, I'm outa there. I'm also • not
fond of flashing stuff, ads larger than a banner, multiple ads, animated • ads,
cookies associated with every graphic, text rendered as graphics, etc. • Even if
I have the patience to stick around despite these things, reasonably or • not,
they may weigh on how much I enjoy the MOC.

Tell me about it!

However, I take my stance on being 100% against invasive advertising to the
technology side - I don't see a single popup, nor do I receive a single
cookie from an advertiser, nor do I even see a single banner ad.

www.webwasher.com
www.panicware.com (Pop-Up Stopper)

And for spam, I use SpamKiller.  www.spamkiller.com.

But it appears MSNBC (my former favorite news site) doesn't like me
filtering out its ads and popups and won't display at all.  I guess they
don't want me to read their stuff.  I now get my news at CNN, ad free.

-Tim