 General / 33738
Re: LEGO system of play... is all about telling stories??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 22:59:18 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Steve Tanner writes:
I was reading an interview today...
Now, I know there are many folks (myself included) that think adding a
storyline inhibits play with LEGO bricks slightly... and if TLC is riding
everything on this concept, then that doesn't really bode well for the future.

What are your thoughts?

Hi Steve et al,
  I would have to say that, for many of us, it *is* about telling stories.
However, if/when TLC forces a particular storyline down the customers'
throats, then we have a problem.

  I think back to the early Castle sets (Gray style).  LEGO provided
children (and adults) with sets whose play options were endless.  Everyone
could have their own fictional world, with unique characters and plots.
Take a look at some of the Castle worlds out there in this community alone
-for some the Crusaders might be valiant paladins protecting peasants from
the wicked ways of the Black Falcon, but for others the Falcon Shields might
be allies of the Forestmen trying to oust the tyranny of the King.  Still
others might use the Forestmen as evil-doers all together.  The point is,
everyone developed their own story.  These stories may be influenced by
certain notions -The colors of the Crusaders look "good", the Forestmen look
like "Robin Hood"- but I'm sure many people broke even those stereotypes,
perhaps going as far as to rename even the groups and sub-themes to suit
their own world.

But the later Castle sets were more restricting (IMO).  The marketing
involved with the Wizard, Dragon, and Witch sets really encouraged a one-way
plot.  Sure, for those lucky enough to have a decent collection of mini-fig
parts, even those molds could be broken by a creative child.  But what of
the child who needs the stimulation of a blank page to develop that creativity?

This same sort of path was followed by the Space and Town themes.  During
the 1980's (and before), the sets were specific enough to suggest a
direction of play and story, but still vague enough to allow for "endless
possibilities" of story.  And again, with these themes, during the 1990's
sub-themes had less vague-ness (?), and thusly encouraged less variation in
story from one child to the next.  Furthermore, where there was variation,
marketing felt the need to explain it -going so far as to name characters
and describe who the heroes are and who the villians are.  With Pirates and
Wild West, this restriction was there from the start.  Again, an AFOL might
break the mold immediately and adapt the new theme or mini-figs to an
existing storyline/world.  But a younger child, just learning creative
skills, might take the easy way out and follow the path clearly layed out
for them.  (Oh!  So Un-LEGO!)

...Uh, not that I'm a child psychologist.  I'm just kinda having a train of
thought here...

Themes like Star Wars, Harry Potter, Bionicle, simply continue the
aforementioned progression.  They might be worth it as collectors items (a
LEGO X-Wing Fighter looks great displayed in a glass hutch), but for
playability, the storylines are already written and known.

Now, the problems with "juniorization" are parallel to this.  Just as the
earlier sets offered more play/story, the earlier sets also offered more
"endless possibilities" of building.  (For the younger members here, that is
a quote TLC used to market right on the boxes.)  As the sets get simpler,
with fewer pieces, and with clearly only a few ways to assemble them
together, we end up having fewer variations of MOCs, with or without story.

Anywho, I hate to be joining the AFsOL that are ranting all the time about
juniorization, Bionicle, Jack Stone, etc., but I think they have a valid
point.  Don't forget what AFOL means!  Only a few types of toys (and even
fewer exclusive brands) have adult followings.  And I think for the most
part LEGO Toy's following grew within the past generation.  We are *fans*
because of the play and the building and the sets and themes we grew up
with.  We remained *fans* because of the flexibility and quality of the
product.  If so many of us are griping, perhaps one of those things we are
*fans* of has changed....  The recent ideas from the LD area are promising
that TLC hears our opinions.  ...I still have hope that the future will
prove that even more...

-J.Hendo